"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." ~Jim Elliot

Saturday, June 22, 2013

This World is Not My Home

Hebrews 13:14
For here we do not have a lasting city, but we are seeking the city which is to come.

I was born in Evansville, Indiana. I have grown up in Evansville, Indiana. All of my jobs have been based in Evansville, Indiana. First tooth lost, years of basketball, all schooling to this point, both churches I attended, all the youth groups I was a part of and the one I helped lead, many social circles, priceless friends, driver's ed, high school graduation - all in Evansville, Indiana.

Risk is a hard thing. Change is a hard thing. And that is why moving is a hard thing. In but one week, my state of residence will change. And so will almost everything I know. Behind I leave brothers I have bonded with and sisters I would die for. There are children I wanted to see grow up. But now I will watch all these things from a distance. I will see them in photos and read about them in text messages and emails, but I will not see these with my eyes. Eighteen-hundred miles is a long distance.

But this is not the end, nor is this world my home. There is more to life than where you are; there is also where you're going. And I am going one day to a lasting city that will not fade away. In all of my experiences and happenings in the city of Phoenix, the lasting city called Heaven is the one I will not forget. It is the one I will always be moving to, no matter where I am or what I am doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog